SQL Server: Restore a database from a .mdf file.
In this blog post I will show you how to restore a database from a .mdf file alone. I am working with the AdventureWorks database in this demonstration. Download the .mdf file for the AdventureWorks database from CodePlex.
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
2. Right click the Databases folder. select Attach from the context menu.
3. Click Add and select the appropriate .mdf file. Click Ok, and then click Ok again. You will get an error at this time because SSMS could not find the corresponding .ldf file.
4. Select the .ldf file entry and click Remove and click Ok.
5. You have successfully restored a database from the .mdf file.
Check out the steps as a pictorial in the slide show below: